Video of Ya Nan Singing-at 8:30 on video

Our Beautiful Ya Nan

Our Beautiful Ya Nan
From the moment I saw her, I knew she had my heart...

Our Timeline

8-21-12: Saw our Daughter's face for the first time
8-31-12: Decided she is indeed a Johnson
9-17-12: Home Study Visit
9-24-12: Home Study Visit
10-18-12: I800A received
11-5-12: Walk-in Fingerprints
11-28-12: I800A Approval
12-17-12: DTC
12-27-12: LOI
12-28-12:PA
1-17-13: OOT
2-1-13: LOA (China approved 1-29)
2-4-13: I800 received at lockbox
2-15-13: I800 request for evidence
4-26-13: RFE sent
5-1-13: I800 Approved
5-6-13: GUZ #
5-7-13: Cabled
5-9-13: Article 5 Drop Off
6-11-13: Article 5 Approved
6-13-13: Article 5 Pick Up
6-21-13: TA
CA
Leave for China!
Gotcha Day

Powered by Blogger.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Day 7: Church and Shaimen Island

Today was a day I have looked forward to for a long time. I've spent many moments thinking about what it would be like to take our daughter to church for the first time in a country where it is illegal to evangelize. There is a church on an island in Guangzhou known to adoptive families. Until recently only Americans could attend. This morning was extra special because not only were we attending church together in English and Mandarin, but we were able to go as a family with my dear friend Coco. Coco and I had worshipped together in America at my home church this past year and after returning home, she face great opposition regarding her faith. Being in God's house and hearing His word in Chinese was a very moving experience. It gives a glimpse of His vastness. Knowing that we were worshiping in two languages and feeling the presence of God there made for a moving worship service.
I wasn't for sure how Maeli would react to going to church. Coco translated what the schedule was for the day and she said she had been wanting to go to church but had never been. She's mentioned Jesus in her cards and letters and even pointed out a photo of Jesus hanging in one of the shops. Her institute prepared and loved on her in BIG ways. I will be forever grateful for the seeds that were planted in her heart there.




The island is a beautiful place. There are many people there taking wedding photos and relaxing along the courtyards.












The island also has many restaurants and shops that cater to Western adoptive families. Some of the stores use the proceeds to help orphans in China.












Here the service schedule of church.























Today happened to be communion Sunday. It was a great opportunity to explain what communion means and for her to hear in her native language the story of the cross. The sermon was from 1 Corinthians and the pastor talked about the love of the church and the what love really is. I love when God reinforces exactly what we need to hear.











After the service, we went to the church bookstore and Maeli asked for a Bible. This is the first thing she has asked for since we got her. She specifically asked for an English/Chinese Bible. We were happy to get one for her. My prayer is that the word of God will fill her heart and she will grow to love and know Him deeply.












This is a famous photo spot for adoptive families.
















We found a noodle shop close to our hotel that served a tasty lunch! All this for less than $10!




These are Chinese pancakes. I have to say they are delicious!!!




The kids loved the window markers. It was a great way for them to interact and have some fun.









1 comment:

  1. It looks like she (and the rest of you) are adjusting beautifully.

    I love following your story.

    ReplyDelete