Video of Ya Nan Singing-at 8:30 on video

Our Beautiful Ya Nan

Our Beautiful Ya Nan
From the moment I saw her, I knew she had my heart...

Our Timeline

8-21-12: Saw our Daughter's face for the first time
8-31-12: Decided she is indeed a Johnson
9-17-12: Home Study Visit
9-24-12: Home Study Visit
10-18-12: I800A received
11-5-12: Walk-in Fingerprints
11-28-12: I800A Approval
12-17-12: DTC
12-27-12: LOI
12-28-12:PA
1-17-13: OOT
2-1-13: LOA (China approved 1-29)
2-4-13: I800 received at lockbox
2-15-13: I800 request for evidence
4-26-13: RFE sent
5-1-13: I800 Approved
5-6-13: GUZ #
5-7-13: Cabled
5-9-13: Article 5 Drop Off
6-11-13: Article 5 Approved
6-13-13: Article 5 Pick Up
6-21-13: TA
CA
Leave for China!
Gotcha Day

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

When God allows us to see...

I'm thankful for technology and the ability to document our journey to Maeli. I'm also thankful for the way technology can connect people who wouldn't otherwise cross paths... And that's where God comes in... This has been a week filled with hope and fear. Fear that documents wouldn't be provided to give us what we need to get US immigration approval. Hope that is would happen and fear when it didn't. And after yesterday's disappointment of being "paperless" Ryan and I sat down last night and agreed we had to give this to Him... And then He, the One who can do all things, began to show how beautiful and merciful He can be! Here's how He did it:
Several weeks ago, I attended the Created for Care Adoption Retreat in Georgia. It was a last minute decision to go because I had hoped we would be close to traveling and didn't think I needed to be away. However, we had received a request for evidence from immigration and I needed to be "refreshed and restored." There's just something incredible about being in the same room with over 400 women who share your passionate about adoption. One evening, the conference received permission to show a new documentary called STUCK. It reveals the real-life difficulties of the international adoption process and sheds light on the red tape of bureaucracy that keeps children from joining families. The film features an attorney, Kelly Ensslin, who successfully challenges the government and helps bring children home. As you can imagine this film sparked raw emotion as we are dealing with similar issues with US immigration.
Other the past few weeks we've hit some "bumps" in getting documents and answers to help us move forward with Maeli's adoption. We had decided to pursue a different avenue in order to satisfy the requirements of immigration. This didn't prove effective and essentially after seven weeks we were back where we started. This week has been the realization that we are back where we started... It's extremely difficult to know that in seven weeks no progress has been made. Our precious daughter IS at the end of this paperwork process and to know she is at the orphanage even one day longer than necessary is hard to think about. I've felt that no one seems to have any answers or experience to help solve this immigration puzzle. I spent hours calls attorneys (even spoke to one in China, another post, lol). We found someone we feel has helped but still longed for someone with experience with our particular type of case.
Earlier this week, the were the cover photo for the STUCK FB page... Ryan jokingly said, is there a way we can get put on the "unSTUCK" page, lol!
So today, a friend on an adoption FB group gave me some contact information for the Department of State. When I told her I didn't think we were quite ready to engage them, but wanted them in case, she offered the name of an attorney that might be able to help. See where this is going? Yes, Kelly Ensslin, the attorney from the STUCK documentary! At the time I didn't put the connection together but decided to "look her up" and found that she was the same attorney I'd seen in the film and admired for ability to get things accomplished. She also has a wealth of connections and experience with international adoption and immigration issues!
After contacting her, she was able to confirm that she has indeed worked (and won) cases very similar to our in China and also in other Hague countries! Best of all, she is available and eager to help us! This is such an answered prayer. Just when I thought it would be near impossible to provide what immigration needs, she has the answers and desire to get this done! Oh, and did I mention she an adoptive mom? God continues to amaze me as He places the right people n our lives at the perfect time.
I can't wait to see how God will use this to bring Maeli home! We serve an awesome God!
The STUCK screening tour will be stopping in Nashville next week. Consider attending Or watching the documentary online. All proceeds go to help advocate for children and creating families.




I've never been a superstitious person and love fortune cookies for the laugh (main,y the chinese word of the day). Last week this was my fortune from lunch out with the kiddos. I took a photo and sent it to Ryan. How appropriate, huh? :)




Yes, HE IS!
And even more that Isaiah 41:10 has been my verse is week:




- Jessica

1 comment:

  1. chills! I had no idea you were still "stuck" here :( so sad to read that and I will be praying for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete